Kawaiahaʻo Church School was recognized for having a premiere schoolyard habitat with plenty of green space for keiki to explore. We also have a thriving school garden, lending to a peaceful, hands-on, learning environment
At Kawaiahaʻo Church School, the health and safety of our students and families are at the core of which everything rests. We strive to provide a learning environment that is clean, safe, and healthy.
Kawaiahaʻo Church School is licensed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHS). However, we go beyond compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements to ensure the health, safety, and wellness of members of the school community. The school takes responsibility for educating community members and for promoting policies, habits, and practices that encourage and sustain individual and community wellness. Due to the current pandemic, we have updated our Health and Safety policies based on guidance from the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), the Hawaii State Department of Health, and DHS. Please click the link below to review our latest Health and Safety Policies, keeping in mind that these health and safety policies will continue to evolve as more information and recommendations change.
Furthermore, the WASC Accreditation Report noted that Kawaiahaʻo Church School facilities and grounds are "safe, well maintained, secure, and healthful environment for students and adults."
- Snacks provided at Kawaiahaʻo Church School are healthy and wholesome and include a combination of fresh and dried fruits, vegetables, clean proteins such as hummus, dairy (organic when possible), and whole grain ingredients
- We serve organic milk to the keiki during snacktime and also cold water during lunchtime to supplement their meals
- We are a peanut free school and are cognisant of food allergies and sensitivies
- All meals are served family-style to enhance independence, social-emotional development, manners, and coordination
Health and Hygiene
- We have a professional cleaning crew that thoroughly cleans the classrooms and bathrooms every evening. They use non-toxic/environmentally-friendly cleaning products
- We have full-time groundskeepers that clean and maintain Kawaiahaʻo Church and Kawaiahaʻo Church School throughout the day
- Toys and surfaces are sanitized throughout the day
- We use tea tree oil and other non-toxic products throughout the day to purify the air and keep bugs away
- We soak glassware, cups, and utensils in soapy water before running it through a professional, commercial grade dishwasher
- Frequent handwashing is required of all teachers, staff, volunteers and students to reduce the risk of communicable diseases
- All classrooms post notifications to parents in the event of any communicable disease in any classroom
Safety and Security
- Complete background checks on all teachers and staff
- First Aid and CPR certified teachers and staff
- Require all visitors to wear a name badge and check in with the office
- School campus is equipped with an alarm system and other security technology
- Secure emergency plan is in place and emergency drills are held throughout the school year
- One-Call Now notification system in place for immediate communication during emergencies